Applicants for Canadian citizenship are now able to apply online (previously, applicants were only able to apply by paper).
This is the latest move by IRCC to modernize the Citizenship Application process. The new online portal is designed to be user-friendly and make the application process more efficient.
“For example, you can now save partially completed applications and resume them at a later time, upload supporting documents and proof of payment, print a PDF and ask for confirmation of receipt.” Said IRCC.
To increase applicant capacity on the online portal, IRCC will be using a phased approach.
Who can use the online application tool
At this time, the online application tool is open to applicants age 18 and over who:
● Are eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship. See our article here.
● Have a valid email address.
● Apply as an individual only (not as a family).
● Are not declaring residence outside Canada as a crown servant or with a crown servant family member.
If applicants don’t meet the criteria described above, they can only apply on paper at this time. IRCC is steadily increasing capacity to ensure that more people can apply online in the future.
At this time, representatives (an immigration or citizenship consultant, lawyer, friend, family member, etc.) are allowed to be used by applicants in the following capacity:
● To deliver advice, guidance or consultation to applicants at any phase of the citizenship application process, or in a citizenship proceeding.
● They can communicate with IRCC on behalf of the applicant after the online application is submitted.
● Currently, representatives are not able to apply online on the applicant’s behalf.
Future updates for the online portal
Stay tuned because in the near future, IRCC intends to open the online portal to the following applicants:
● Families (groups).
● Minors under 18 years of age.
● Representatives to apply on behalf of their clients.
● Clients who are declaring residence outside Canada as a crown servant or with a crown servant family member.
Visit the following link: Apply for Canadian citizenship online.
✔ You need an online account to submit your application
Create an online account here.
✔ Documents and forms
IRCC will ask you to upload documents and forms based on your application.
✔ Paying fees
Pay your fees and upload your receipt in the online application.
✔ Processing Times
Online application to become a Canadian citizen: it starts after you submit your application.
✔ Application Status
RCC will contact you through your account. You can upload additional documents in your account.
Find out how to check your status.
✔ If additional documents are required
IRCC will contact you by email.
👍 Now you know how the online application process works!
If you get approved after you apply, the first thing you should do is give yourself a big pat on your back and throw a party for yourself! Afterall, successfully completing your application and being approved is a great accomplishment!
➜ The next step is to take the Canadian Citizenship test. Then, after passing the test, IRCC will invite you to attend a citizenship ceremony and take the Oath of Citizenship. At the end, you will truly be proud and full of joy because nothing beats being a Canadian citizen!
Prepare for your Canadian citizenship test with us, we are the No.1 Online Training for the Canadian Citizenship Test. We have helped tens of thousands of people prepare for and pass their test!