Two very important changes affecting the Canadian citizenship test process

Canadian citizenship test testing room

In June 2013, Citizenship and Immigration Canada announced two very important changes that will positively affect the Canadian citizenship test process.

Canadian citizenship test – You can now retake it within few weeks

If you fail your Canadian citizenship test, you can now retake it once instead of waiting for an appointment with a citizenship judge. Before, it could take few months to two years for this appointment to arrive in the mail.
You will be notified right away if you passed or failed your test. If you have failed, but meet all the other citizenship criteria, then you will be provided with a date to retake your test, usually within few weeks, but be aware that the delay might be longer. If you have passed the test, then you will be scheduled for a citizenship ceremony.

Canadian citizenship test – You can now take it independently from other family members within the same application

Now all family members listed on one same application do not have to be approved at the same time. Before, if one family member failed the citizenship test, the other members were held up in their citizenship application process. Now family members may have their applications processed independently, even if they are listed on the same application. This is also true for any other citizenship application requirements such as the language test. See this article from CIC for more details.

Also, 8 more citizenship judges were appointed recently, which means more decisions can be now made for all citizenship applications, and more citizenship ceremonies can be held.

All of this should help reduce the citizenship applications processing time. Well…let’s hope!!

Right now, the time for processing an application is from 21 to 29 months (1 year and 9 months to 2 years and 5 months), which is a really long time. In 2008, wait times were “only” from 12 to 15 months.

According to Citizenship and Immigration Canada, there has been a 30% increase in demand for Canadian citizenship since 2006, due to an increase in immigration applications. The government hasn’t had sufficient resources to face this increase, and this created a significant backlog. About 350,000 permanent residents are currently waiting to become citizens, in opposed to only 189,886 in 2007.

Some people also criticize the citizenship application process to be too complicated, too heavy on paperwork, especially when applicants have to fill out the residency questionnaire.

The Canadian government seems well intent in reducing the notorious backlog in citizenship applications. But it will take some time for the effects to be felt.

Becoming a Canadian citizen shouldn’t be too easy of course, and some requirements such as the Canadian citizenship test will always be necessary, but extra-long waiting times can have a big impact on people’s life (and nerves).

Need help preparing for your Canadian citizenship test? Take a look at our Complete Online Training Program!

Tagged with:
Posted in Canadian Citizenship Test
Prepare for your Canadian Citizenship Test
Learn more about our Complete Online Training Program
184 Comments » for Two very important changes affecting the Canadian citizenship test process
  1. Jason says:

HI !

I just took a Canadian Citizenship Test on July 23rd. Thanks to you .. I passed the test.

Do you know how long it’s gonna take to the ceremony. I’ve check on cic website and I saw there’s an upcoming ceremony on Aug. Does that mean I can go to the oath ceremony on that day ?

• admin says:

Congratulations Jason! Your citizenship ceremony appointment should not take too long, but it is hard to say if the August one will be yours. You could call Citizenship and Immigration Canada (1-888-242 2100) and ask them if they have already entered a citizenship ceremony date for you in their system.

• kashif says:

Hi Jason
      Congrats , I wonder did you get the date of ceremony yet or you are still waiting ?

and can you please share the dates when did u applied, process start and invite for exam

I applied in Aug 2012 and my process start in Mar 2013 but still waiting for the Exam Invite and all the rest

• Adam says:

Hi Jason,
      Please let me know, when your application started processing How long did you wait for the test ? Thanks.

• zos says:

hello Jason,
      I wonder did you got the result of your exam on the same day? or you have waited

• Choi says:

They didn’t give you the day of ceremoney on the same day you took your test and interview. They will tell you whether your test is failed or not. Just in my case, I got the date of ceremoney letter in 2weeks after the test.

2. sally says:

one of my friends try to give a birth as a visitor in Canada, I have told her that will be illeagal in Canada. Could you please give me some laws guidance, therefore I can stop her stupid action. thank you.

• admin says:

Hello Sally. We cannot give any law guidance on this matter. Please call Citizenship and Immigration Canada Call Centre at 1-888-242 2100 (Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., your local time, except for statutory holidays.)

• mike says:

Sally, I am not sure what makes you think it is illegal to give birth in Canada as a visitor. As the law stands today, the child will be Canadian however the parent cannot remain in Canada as a result of the Canadian child. The family should however be prepared to pay the costs related to the birth which will be in the range of $15,000

• dee says:

I think Sally just wants to selfishly deter her friend from giving birth in Canada so that her friend’s child would then be Canadian. Of course, if the friend can afford to pay for the delivery costs, it is completely lawful to have your child born in Canada who would then be Canadian.

3. Abbas says:

Hello
    My family and I wrote the exam and took part in an interview on June 13th, 2013, but we haven,t received any letter for the ceremony yet. So I think we must waite for more weeks to receive our letters. Please let me know if I’m right. Thank you.

4. mariska says:

My husband and I took the citizenship test on March 8th. We are still waiting today to receive an invitation 🙁 meanhwile our pr card expired. Did not renew it in July anticipating to have our Canadian passports soon. Found out that it takes 106 days! to get a new PR card so caught in the middle. Not able to visit my family overseas in the meantime. Frustrating considering the fact that we were so happy and eager of the day we took the test.

• admin says:

Hello Mariska. CIC is unfortunately heavily backlogged and your waiting time is not unusual. It is a bad timing with your PR cards for sure, but it will be all worth it in the end. Good luck!

5. roaa says:

i took the test in August 21-2013 in Mississauga and i passed . i did the interview and they asked me passport translation. still waiting ceremony letter dos anyone know how long it take anyone have the same thing

• admin says:

Hello Roaa. The ceremony letter can take a while (a few months) to be mailed.

• Glenda says:

HI Roa did you send with your application a translated copy of your passport before interview? If so, is the translation they asked you meant the original translated copy? Thanks

6. roaa says:

thanks to your reply but if they ask for translation is that affect my process

• admin says:

We are not sure. You should ask Citizenship and Immigration Canada Call Centre at 1-888-242 2100 (Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., your local time, except for statutory holidays.). Good luck!

7. Sindy says:

Hi .
    I passed the test but I couldn’t take the oat on that day. I was leaving the country and after my return I wrote to CIC office and I explained why. They have not send a date yet. They received that letter Since 17 October 2013.
    My PR card will be expiring in December so now I had to renew it. It sucks to wait so long. Any advice?

8. sara says:

hai i am waiting for my pr renewal ,suddnely they call for me to the citizenship test ,what i have to do please help

• admin says:

Hello Sara. The goal is to pass your citizenship test first time, so practice for it as much as you can, starting right now! Good luck!

9. Victor says:

I thought I’d share my experience here … Me and my parents applied for citizenship as a family (we have a family file). At the beginning of February 2013 we had the test and according to CIC all 3 of us passed the test (this was confirmed more than 3 times). Last call we made we found out that apparently our file has been passed to a second agent for verification (standard procedure they said) on October 24th. It’s been almost 10 months since the test and we are still waiting to be called for the oath ceremony. If everything is ok, why is it taking so long?

• admin says:

We can’t say for sure what’s going on with your file. Sometimes it is good to keep calling them, as a different agent might have a more insightful useful answer. Good luck!

10. mari says:

hi, i am schedule for citizenship test next week monday,i am planning to go to USA this coming christmas and i am going to renew my US tourist visa tom. Tuesday. my problem is if i got the chance to renew my US tourist visa they will get my passport and have it mailed back to me after 5 business days. fyi.. just renew my passport this last October and haven’t used it. please i need an answer …

• mari says:

is my new passport really needed? are there any alternative documents that i can present as a replacement for my passport?

11. Anonymous says:

my family did our citizenship test more than 2 years ago. and we still haven’t gotten a call for our oath ceremony. why is this?

• admin says:

You should really call Citizenship and Immigration Canada Call Centre at 1-888-242 2100 (Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., your local time, except for statutory holidays.). Ask them what’s going on.

12. Mary says:

I applied for the citizenship on February 2012.(I live in Quebec)

Did my test on Nov 22nd 2013 and passed it.

I am waiting for the ceremony letter.

My friend took the test on Oct 18 2013, she received the letter for the ceremony at the beginning of December 2013.
    she took the Oath last Wednesday Dec 18th 2013.

13. Catherine Nguyen says:

I, my dad and my sister applied for the Canadian citizenship test a while ago, all in 1 application. My dad and my sister have been informed their test date about 3 months ago, but I have not heard anything regarding my text date. Is it normal?

• admin says:

You should call them: Citizenship and Immigration Canada Call Centre at 1-888-242 2100 (Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., your local time, except for statutory holidays.)

• Mary says:

Yes, if you are under the age of 18 at the time of application do not have to take the test either.

14. Ana says:

Hi, I am waiting for the citizenship ceremony for about 7 months. My application is in process for more than 28 months ( it was a routine application). I called cic many times and they said my application is ceremony ready from July 2013, but I did not get an invitation for the ceremony.

15. xena says:

I had my citizeniship test Dec 5th 2013, which I passed 20/20. I was told that I will receive letter in the mail but I instead received residence questionaire. Is this normal?

16. I was told by my lawyer I would receive the Citizenship test notification in 2 months.
    Anyone knows if CELPIP is still required if I pass the test ?

17. Alan says:

First of all, thanks for you time.
    I have a question about our Canadian citizenship process experience.
    My wife and I attended the test, passed the test and talked with a citizenship officer, she asked a few questions, checked our passports and she wanted us to send some documents including the same ones we mailed with our initial application already. She gave us two check lists for me and my wife she marked two things on them. She said “the judge will see and decide” whatever it needs to be decided ??? I don’t get it everything was there before her eyes and I haven’t left anything behind when I initially applied. In two days we mailed whatever she asked again with registered express mail. I was a week before Christmas. It has been a month and a half, we haven’t heard anything from them. I know people received their ceremony date after the test recently. I don’t see what would be wrong with us ??
    It has been four years since we landed, we didn’t want to rush this to avoid any complications about spent time in Canada.

My question is How could I follow up this situation ??

Thanks so much in advance…

• admin says:

We are not sure how you could follow up other than calling them (Citizenship and Immigration Canada Call Centre at 1-888-242 2100) until you have an agent on the phone who can actually have an answer for you. Good luck!

• Alex says:

Your application got definitely sidetracked by that request of documents.

It went into a different stream that’s not moving at all.

Good luck now!

18. Analyn Bondoc says:

Hi I just want to ask just to make it clear about taking a citizenship? I’m a immigrant here in Canada and soon I’ll take the citizenship test but I’m married too and I have one daughter months old now,my question is if I take a test and pass the exam it is my husband and my daughter automatically citizen too? Because I’m wondering about the new processing of applying of citizenship.. Base on my in-laws my husband parents there’s still need to take a exam seperately.. I appreciate your immediate response regarding this matter I just to make clear for me thank you so much..

• admin says:

Yes your husband also needs to take the citizenship test.

• Donia says:

Hello,
        My citizenship application took 4.5 years and still in process, even I passed the test with 17/20 for around 1 year now and they asked me for more document. I am wondering why that happen to me. I speak both official languages, I work part time, and I am an university student and I like to live in Canada. It is for me the paradise and the best place to live in it for many reasons. Canada is my country and I am proud of it even I am not a Canadian citizen yet. I hope they process my application more quickly because I am been waiting now for more than 4 years and no answer from them that explain the long delay or the reason for not processing my application as the time required for it. Am I an exception? if yes why?
        I love you CANADA because you give me what my country does not and never give me.

• Alex says:

There is no such thing as automatic citizenship.

Your hubby should apply separately. As to your daughter, if she is not in your application, you should include her.

19. Sue says:

Hi
    I’m old woman(72)
    I received notice to appear for verification of identity/documents.
    for interview -bring 1-this notice, 2-2 photo id 3-original document that i support for application 4-original record of landin or confirmation of permanent residence 5-permanent resident card
    6- passport,travel document(current and expired)
    QUESTION
    1-All the old person(who are exemption test) ,interview ?
    2- after interview pass(GRANT),how long does it take to ceremony?

20. Jane says:

Hi…

I took my citizenship test and passed it on January 7th, 2014 – I am planning a trip out of Canada for a couple of weeks end of February. Do I need to check with CIC if they have a ceremony date set for me before i book my trip? Would they know the date?

• Alex says:

Sure check. Having said that, they give you 2 weeks notice in the letter before the ceremony.

• Tahir says:

Hi everyone,
      I passed my citizenship test on Jan 28 2014. Still waiting for my Oath ceremony letter. I called the agent and they told me that I can expect my Oath letter till 15 of June but nothing. I am worried, anybody has the same experience like mine.

21. Tahir says:

I passed my test last month and I am planing to go back home at the end of this month. I am getting married and I am worried about my Oath ceremony also. I know couple of peoples that they received their
    ceremony dated with in 6 weeks. What can I do? if i missed the oath what will be the next step and for how long I have to wait for it?

• Alex says:

If you miss the ceremony, you may be rescheduled for next year or will have to apply all from scratch again.

Why do you think you would miss a ceremony?

22. Rita says:

Hi,
    I missed my Citizenship test notice since i relocated and didn’t check the mails on time nor did i update cic about address change. Now, I am asked to send the letter. Can anybody help me, since i know cic won’t accept if i tell them that i missed because i relocated and was settling down. I have my last paycheck 3 weeks prior to the exam. Does that prove my presence in toronto? My husband works in US, will that be a problem? Please help asap

• Alex says:

One of your obligations that you took upon yourself is to notify CIC of your address change.

You failed to notify them.

The best way is to come clean — tell them the truth.

23. Sahil says:

Guys I have very strange situation I applied my citizen ship oct2013 after two months I got acknowledgment letter and today (mar4,2014)receive latter again for my citizenship test and interview I m very confuse anyone knows is it normal I’d something wrong
    Thanks

• sara says:

I applied in nov 2013 and got test acknowledgement in march 2014..waiting for test date .we can keep in touch as we have same time line

24. Empress says:

@ Sahil…. don’t be confuse, this is very normal..go and ake your test and pass with flying colors 🙂

25. tanya says:

Admin, can you please provide an answer to Sue as of Feb 4. I’m interested since my mom is in the same position. She is 68 and her verification of identity interview was on Feb 18. Thanks

• admin says:

Hello Tanya. We help people prepare for their citizenship test, but for any specific questions regarding your citizenship application process, please call Citizenship and Immigration Canada Call Centre at 1-888-242 2100 (Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., your local time, except for statutory holidays). Good luck to your mum!

26. sherry says:

My mom, sister and I did our test on June 5th 2013 on which that day I was the only one who passed. The agent who attended to me told me that I will receive my letter of ceremony 3mths after. Up to this day I haven’t received any letter. A month later which was July 2013 my sister passed, but my mom had to go to the judge last mth Feb and which she also passed. After my mom passed she received a letter about 1 week later to attend the ceremony. My question is how is possible that I have passed since June of 2013 along with my sister July 2013 and my mom Feb 2014 and only my mom allowed to receive her letter of ceremony? Isn’t it the way around where who first passed got through or maybe is last in first out (LIFO)? Please comment! Just to let you know that I have called many times to the agent and they are telling me they don’t know what is the problem why is it not taking care of.

• admin says:

Hello Sherry. We really don’t know why you haven’t received your ceremony letter yet. Maybe other people using our website had a similar experience and could comment?

• Alex says:

Stop calling and write a formal letter.
      The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. So stop calling them and do something more meaningful.

27. siti says:

Hi
    I will take citizenship test soon, but my PR is expaired. doest it affect my test? if u have an info plss let me know.
    thanks

• John Hood says:

No problem if your PR is expired, at all. It only affects you if you travel abroad and come back with the expired PR, however if you come back by car, you can even show an expired PR without any problem.

• Alex says:

Your PR card is required only during re-entry into Canada. That’s its sole purpose.

28. Cristian says:

It is not normal that for the same payment:
    – you will be treated differently (duration, feedback, paperwork)
    – their professional work will hide under the: ‘personalisation of the file’ – you can be very OK and you will wait 34 months for test and another 6 months for ceremony (why others have the ceremony right after the test…? – they are different, specials?).

The people here and elsewhere try to find solution to a system that is not well made and let ways to interpretations and omissions. Who work for who?

Do we miss the point for the truth?

• Alex says:

Each case is treated differently because each case is different. What CIC and supporting agencies verify are the following:
      1. Your risk to Canada
      2. Your criminal background in Canada and other countries you visited
      3. Sufficient stay in Canada
      4. Sufficient ties to Canada
      5. Other things

Some cases take longer to process because some cases require a deeper look.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the fees you paid.

29. Lorraine says:

If the date of citizenship ceremony does not match my schedule, may I change the date of the ceremony? And is there a phone number that I can call?

• Alex says:

If the date of the ceremony does not meet your schedule, you must change your schedule to accommodate the ceremony.

If you believe your personal schedule is more important as the ceremony, for which you have waited 5 and some years, then definitely call CIC and cancel it.

You must know though that it will delay the process yet another year for you (at least) or, in extreme circumstances, you may be required to apply for citizenship grant from scratch.

I hope your personal schedule was worth it!

30. Jawaid Moosa says:

Hi,

According to the important changes mentioned above if one member of the family failed the test, it will not affect the citizenship process for others, however, on 02 April, 2014 we went for a test I was exempt but my wife, son, daughter, son and daughter-in-law all appeared for test and with the exception of my wife, every one passed the test. The officer told us that since we all applied together, we will have to wait till my wife passes the test.
    I called the citizenship toll number and they do not have any information on 03 June notification from Jason Kenny.
    Can you please let us know what to do.

Warm regards

• admin says:

Hi Jawaid. We don’t know any further details in regards to these changes. You could try to call CIC again, maybe a different agent will know more about it? In any case, good luck!

• Alex says:

I don’t get it why people still apply as a family when it only delays the process. Your wife is a separate individual.

But what is done is done… Now waiting game begins…

31. Flesurbc says:

Hi
    We are awaiting of our citizenship test, hoping to get one soon but our PR and passport is going to expire after one month. Do we have to have a valid PR and passport if we’re asked for ? We still have valid driver’s license as a form of identification. What if we required two forms of identification? Is it acceptable for documents verifier to submit expired identification documents? As in our case valid driver’s license and expired passport or PR? Thank you.

• admin says:

It is best if you call Citizenship and Immigration Canada Call Centre at 1-888-242 2100 (Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., your local time, except for statutory holidays.) and ask them directly.

• Alex says:

You will have to produce everything that was part of your original application or produce an explanation why you cannot produce this or that.

Landing papers (the white sheet) shall be a good substitute for PR card for these purposes.

32. sg says:

me and wife took the citizenship test on Jan.2014 for the first time, I passed the test 20 out of 20 but my wife failed the test, I called the CIC call center and was told my wife has been scheduled to see the judge , how is that possible and she has not been given second chance to rewrite the test.
    can anybody help me please.

• Alex says:

There are no second chances. She must now prove her proficiency in English, in addition to the test knowledge.

Furthermore, if you applied as a family, she will delay the whole application process for both of you for 1-2 years.

• sara says:

Hi Alex

what should I do know, my wife does have linc level 4 she just was to nerves during the test and interview, my other daughter took the test on same day and she also passed the test, we did apply as a family, my other daughter is 12 years of age.
        what should I do now.
        thanks for reply.

33. pam says:

HI, i have an one questions? ime and my parent did citizenship test but me and my grand pa did passed and my dad and mom didn’t passed?? i m wait my ceremoney. can u please help me why they did not call us for ceremoney? i m so worried about it thanks,.,,

• Alex says:

If you applied all together in one file like a family, the failure of your grandparents will mean the failure of your whole application process.

In other words, they pulled you back another 2-4 years.

Thank your grandparents for that!

34. I.Rehman says:

We (myself, my wife and 3 children) applied for citizenship in July 2011; was asked in May 2012 to submit finger prints (myself), and in Nov. 2012 residence questionnaire, I did all that. We (myself and my wife) wrote the tests on April 9, 2013. In July I was asked again to submit a copy of my finger prints (was so confused). Since then I keep calling CIC and they say our tests are passed but they’re waiting to get clearance from RCMP, the last thing, they say, before they would call us for oath ceremony.

Does it take that long for RCMP to send them clearance?

• Alex says:

Your process got definitely sidetracked by finger prints and residency questionnaire. None of those steps are normal. So, somebody is looking into your case with great attention.

I wouldn’t expect any results anytime soon.

They actually are trying to find grounds to decline you.

• Anon says:

Fingerprints expire in 12 months. They ask you to mail the original copy of the fingerprints instead of going for fresh fingerprints. However if you do this, good luck as it could take 12 months for RCMP to process this way. Instead what you should do is take the letter requesting fingerprints to an accredited fingerprints agency and do a fresh fingerprints. This way RCMP processes it within 72 hours.

35. Shannon Pais says:

Hello Admin,
    my mom and I took the test on jan 7th 2014 and the both of us passed the test. the officer confirmed all was okay and told us that we would be receive a letter regarding the ceremony within 4-6 weeks. its been 4 months now and we have no received anything. What is going on? I have checked the application online and it says “in process”. We feel so helpless at this point. has anyone else gone through the same situation? please help

• Alex says:

The wait time is up to 6 months, not weeks.

So sit tight.

I’ve written my test in January. Now is May. Still waiting.

Does it matter to you if you get it this year or next year? The Citizenship does not change much for you. You can still live, work, and travel with your PR card.

36. Noel says:

Hello ADMIN,
    i have a question, in 2009 i applied for a Canadian citizenship and i did the test twice and didn’t passed, after i meet the judge and once again i didn’t passed. Last November 2013 i submit another application to re-do the test. my question is now, do i have to wait 24 months for me to get an answer from immigration of Canada for me to do the test? This is my second citizenship application? Could you please help me answering my question please and thank you.

37. Anny ally says:

I passed my test six month ago and haven’t hard ceremony yet. I wonder what is going on. I call them and I am told that they are still processing my papers. Hope will be soon. We all have right to become Canadian

38. Hind says:

Hello,
    My son and I passed the citizenship test on the 23rd of April 2014. The interviewing officer reviewed my passports and asked few questions, then asked to see my son. it’s been almost a month and I have been checking CIC website and keeps getting the ‘in process’. Can I call the immigration Canada now, or should I wait further.
    thanks,

39. Sharon says:

I have applied for citizenship in September 2010. My test call came in February 2013. At the time of the test they gave me a residence questionnaire which I duly filled and submitted. At present I am outside of Canada . My PR card is about to expire. What is the the best course of action to travel to Canada by plane after I get an oath invitation?

40. Sophie says:

Hello,I passed my test on 20 june 2014 and officer asked me some question and then she said i am sending this file to judge he will send you a letter for interview or for ceremony,somebody tell me please if they send me a letter for interview what they will ask me please someone reply. Thanks

41. Anonymous says:

Hi,, my name is ramnik.i applied my citizenship in 2011, and after some time we received questionerre and after long time in may 2014 we got test date and we pass the test but the same time they said, we have to wait for oath ceremony for 8 to 12 weeks, they gonna send our file to judge and then we will gave you oath ceremony date, if we don’t receive any thing then it gonna take long time,,,,,, can u explain me why, and when we can get our oath ceremony date..

42. haiwad khan says:

Hello
    i have failed my first citizenship test but i came out with flying colors in my second test (passed) April 28 ,i have contacted CIC and they told me that since you applied your application ,i have to wait 35 month for oath ceremony .i would like to know how long does it take in general for oath ceremony from date i passed citizenship test .

43. Ahmad says:

Hello,I passed my test on 11 of February 2014 and officer asked me some question and then she said i am sending this file to judge he will send you a letter for interview or for ceremony, so I called back the call center bcz it been more than 5 month and they said I’m waiting for hearing with the judge so pls Alex do u know usual how long it will take to see the judge and what he will ask in general thx u a lot

44. Anonymous says:

Hi there here is my problem in 90 I was a minor, My parents both got their Canadian Citizenship. I was not living at home here’s my question if both my parents are Canadians does that mean I am also? Even if Iwasn’t living at home? And we were all born elsewhere thank you 🙂

• msahmedno1 says:

No – only time you can be a citizen is either you were included part of your parents citizenship application and were approved with them or otherwise they were citizens at the time of birth or if you were born in Canada. There is no other way.

45. Reza says:

Hi all!
    I applied for grant of citizenship in May 2012 a mail was posted to my home address in Canada in Oct 2013. Unfortunately, I was not in Canada and I could not receive it. Now, it seems my application is withdrawn by CIC1 Is it true? What can I do now? I have been here for almost 7 years and for a simple issue, I miss this important opportunity?!
    Kindly, please share your valuable information and advice.
    Thanks in advance,
    Reza

46. Raman says:

Hi everyone
    I need some help I have my citizenship test and interview in 2 wks and I been told do bring original documents with me to support my application but I misplaced my confirmation of permanent residence and My PR card is expired last month what should I do.How important is to take confirmation of permanent residence ?

Thanks

47. Rashid says:

I have applied my citizenship on December 12, 2012 and submitted my residency questioner on August 2013 after month when i was got form citizenship office, during last 3 years i just visited back home only for 27 day to attend funeral of my mother , i have also submitted death certificate of my mother, however i applied citizenship after covering my absence 27 days, unfortunately, I was on employment insurance when i went to attend funeral of my mother. I passed my citizenship test on 21 May 2014, officer told me , we have not yet checked your papers of your residency questioner, we will check your privacy as well,since 3 months I have been looking oath letter 🙁

48. msahmedno1 says:

I took the test today and passed 20/20 – my main source of prep was this site. The test was easier than expected but I suppose that has to do with good prep. I did all the questions for the sections and the simulations 611 questions 3x over. Practice thoroughly and chances are you will pass.

• admin says:

This is a very good review, thank you! Congratulations for passing your official test!

• Margie says:

Hi there,
      Congratulations for passing the test. But would you mind to share some pointers to review. Is there any site that you go to, to practice the exam. I am going to take mine on Oct. 8/2014 so I’m nervous. Gladly appreciated if you could help me out.
      Thanks much!

49. Anonymous says:

My husband had his citizenship test a month ago. He passed the test and they said they would call him in 2-4 weeks. It is exactly 4 weeks and 1 day and still no call from them. Should we call immigration? We are also going out of the country in 2 months and we need to process his new passport by then. After the oath taking, is it mandatory to change your passport right away?

• admin says:

Yes you should call CIC and ask them: Citizenship and Immigration Canada Call Centre at 1-888-242 2100 (Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., your local time, except for statutory holidays.)

50. Dina says:

Hi there. I send all my translated papers of documents with my citizenship application. Sines office already has them all, is that important still bring copies to the test ( unfortunately I don’t have copies )? Going crazy with worries but office closed on the weekend

51. maria says:

Hello,
    I would appreciate your opinion on this question. I am presenting my test for citizenship soon and I just read on the check list of what to bring a form IMM1000, as far as I remembered I only received a IM5292 when I landed as a PR. Seem the same in the check list for the citizenship application check list kit but not for the test check list. Is it the same form?
    I did not keep a copy of all documents I mailed for the application, I have the obvious ones: copy of the fee payment, the landing PR form, language prof. test results….do I need to bring more than that to the interview?
    M.

52. mommyof4 says:

Does anybody knows how long the whole precess take, the test, interview and everything? I have to arrange babysitter for my kids and would like to have an idea of the time i will need. Thanks.

53. Sara says:

Hi,
    My aunt gave the citizenship test orally with a judge on August 16, 2014. The judge said that we will get the paper confirming approval or not in 3 weeks. It is now October and we still have not received any news from CIC. The call center is always busy and cic.gc.ca is not helpful. It would be great to know whats going on. Thanks.

54. Rex says:

Application received in March of 2011. Wrote (and passed) my test in September of 2012. I was asked to fill out a Residency Questionnaire at that time. The RQ was returned within two weeks; no response until June of 2014, when I was told to do fingerprinting. That was done two days later. I called back several times and each time was told there were no updates. Last week I called and they indicated that they had no record of my fingerprinting. A letter arrived asking if I could send a copy of my fingerprint report to CIC, so they can send it to the RCMP (which seems strange… seeing is the RCMP are the ones who sent it to me…). That was done on September 29th. Nearing 4 years through the process; I know it will be worth it in the end. Realistically, the CIC are understaffed and over worked.

55. Anonymous says:

I completed my test on 20th august’ 2013. I was asked to complete residence questionaire form after passing d test . I submitted all my documents to CIC local office along with the form within a week. Since than i am waiting for d oath ceremony. I applied for citizenship after completing 2 yrs on my first PR and immediately 1 yr on my second PR. It has been almost 14 months aft clearing my test n waiting for oath ceremony. What should i do further? How long should i wait?

56. Nicka says:

Hi,i just need to know how long for me to wait to receive my ceremony schedule its more than 4 yrs already since i apply for my citizenship, and i did everything they want me to do,like take a finger prints 2x, they said everything is ok, i just need to wait, ive done my second finger print a month ago, hiw long do i need to wait to receive an invitation for oattaking?

57. Natalia says:

If I decide to get married after taking a test will it delay my oath ceremony? Thank you

• admin says:

Hi Natalia. You should ask Citizenship and Immigration Canada Call Centre at 1-888-242 2100 (Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., your local time, except for statutory holidays.)

58. Judy says:

Hi, I just received the notice to take the test and interview for citizenship,,,,the thing is I have been out of the country for a year and I dont know if this would affect them giving me citizenship,,,,I failed to let them know I was out because I did send a letter but it was not received so what should I do??? I dont know if then rush now to Canada if they would not give me the citizenship because I had been out of the country, please help I need urgent advise…

• admin says:

Hi Judy, for any specific questions regarding your citizenship application process, please call Citizenship and Immigration Canada Call Centre at 1-888-242 2100 (Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., your local time, except for statutory holidays.)

59. joey says:

hi i already did the test and i pass and the ceremony is after two weeks , but i already renew my Pr on november what i have to do .? do i have to stop it or in the day of ceremony i tell them

60. ESSAM GERGUIS says:

I Passed my test fab 2014 .but yesterday i recived letter from CIC that i have to hearing with a citizenship Judge..so what the Judge is going to ask me how i can be ready for the hearing???

61. BEDDINE says:

i passed my test on marsh 12 2014
    and i have not recived my oath ceremony yet’

62. Charly Keller says:

So I have called this CIC call centre and there is not an option to speak to a human. I called 10 times and you can pushed 0 or * 100 hundred times and nothing works. I recieved my letter to take my test on Feb 4, 2015 I just received this letter Jan 16, 2015 and I wondering what exactly I am supppose to take to the test. I am missing my confirmation of PR. I do have a PR card which makes me not understand why I need it. They have copies of everything so I dotn undertand if i had made it this far why would they want to see all this again. Furthermore I have heard that some officers dont even ask for it. Anyway how can i speak to an actual human when I call this number

63. jose says:

my wife and I passed the test on May2014 and we did not receive any notification for the ceremony yet, when called CIC they said that the residence questionnaire is received and everything is ok…just wait… and call in 6 months…
    FOR ADMIN: Any idea what is happening?. is not related with the work load because for two different friends took 2 weeks between the exam and the ceremony both in Toronto and Mississaugua

• admin says:

No we don’t know what could be going on. Processing times really differ from one person to the other. You might just have to wait it out. Good luck!

64. IH says:

my application has been processing for nearly two years now. I originally started in ottawa wrote my test, then on that very day made them aware of my relocation to alberta. So now nearly two years after taking the test and passing(confirmed this many times over the phone) im still waiting on a ceremony date. Is this normal. Im getting a little worried.

We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on May 16, 2011.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on May 16, 2011. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We started processing your application on December 13, 2011.

We sent you a notice on March 16, 2013 to attend an identification appointment to have your documents and identity verified on April 16, 2013 at 10:30 AM. The notice you will receive will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.

We sent you a notice on March 16, 2013 to appear and write the citizenship test on April 16, 2013 at 10:30 AM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.

65. Monica says:

Hello I went to interview with Canadian officer on January 16 2015 but I don’t know my results yet the Canadian officer said if I’m not recivce a mail in 2 week that’s mean I pass but after 5 week i recive a mail they ask me to do a fingerprint to process my application that’s what they said in paper so it mean I pass or fail

66. Moe says:

Hello,

I applied for citizenship in June 2011. Got an RQ in Aug 2012 and then finger prints request in March 2014. In Feb 2015, I passed my citizenship test. The officer who interviewed me after the exam indicated that he is going to approve of my application. He then said that it is probably going to take 2-4 months to receive “next steps” from CIC. Do you have an idea what he means by next steps? Is it an interview with the judge? or the oath ceremony?
    I appreciate your help

67. Tika says:

Hello everyone,

I did the Test march 3rd. I got 19/20.. Right after the test we went into another room when a non formal not private interview was held. Some people got questioned a lot . I heard them asked questions like where did u live between this period? Were you ever in trouble with the police? Are currently charged with anything? Where did you work between this period. Where did you travelled to and for how long .. They are just trying to confirm whatever you submitted to them in the application.
    Also the original documents you should carry with you are :
    Your PR card – whether expired or not, your landed document, 2 pieces of ID i.e driver’s license, or healthcard or S.I.N card , and any passports in your possession whether valid or expired.

My interview was very short 5 minutes . It was because I never travelled and they asked why… And I work and do not have any kids. Lol I had to ask if that’s it..
    Every interview is different because it’s based on your application and answers you provided , some are more complicated than others. My advice to anyone who want to become a citizen is to avoid any travelling if you can from the time you became permanent residence. It makes your application more complicated. You will more than likely be asked to fill out a residence questionnaire where you have to prove that you’ve been in Canada for most of your time here – which can delay you becoming a citizen by years ..
    My application took about 11 months before I was asked to do the test. Less complications equals faster processing!
    Hope this was helpful

68. vic says:

Hi there, i took the Canadian Citizenship test last August 2014 and i passed the test, unfortunately i forgot to bring one of my passport and they required me to send the photocopy of every pages of it. but until now March 2015, it’s seven months already and I’m still waiting for the confirmation of my oath taking. I wonder how long still I need to wait for this. my Permanent Residency Card was already expired and I’m having difficulty of traveling outside Canada that required to my work. is there a way of getting an appointment and to speak with any personnel in the CIC offices?

• admin says:

Have you tried calling the Citizenship and Immigration Canada Call Centre at 1-888-242 2100 (Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., your local time, except for statutory holidays.)?

69. Liz says:

Hi my mom got her permanent residence in 2007. She didn’t meet the 3 out of 4 years or 4 out of 6 – not sure which applys to her. But when she applied for the renewal she had only had been in Canada about a year because my brother was involved in a terrible accident back home and he needed help with his ADL. The other (2) passengers died. I provided the newspaper clipping to explain the reason for not meeting the requirements. My mom was able to renew her permanent residence and it is now about to come up for renewal again next year. Again she has not met the 3 of 4 or 4 of 6 because in 2011 she had triple bypass in Canada and a year and half later had to return home because her loan accounts was pass due, property tax, utility bills etc. My question is, my mom is now turning 69 in June 2015, does she still need to meet those 3 of 4 or 4 of 6? Can I still apply for certizenship for her?

• admin says:

Hi Liz, we are not sure, you should call Citizenship and Immigration Canada Call Centre at 1-888-242 2100 (Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., your local time, except for statutory holidays). Good luck!

70. Tina says:

I took a citizenship test in November last year and I passed the test. My interview was very short and the interviewer said my application looks fine and i will get a notice in 3-5 months. However, I have not received the notice for the ceremony yet. But, one of my friend took a test in January but she got a notice for the ceremony. I called Citizenship and Immigration Canada and asked if I have any problem, but he told me to just wait. It seemed they don’t know what is going on either. I’m graduating soon and i was going to travel around the world with my friends, but i guess I have to cancel it..
    FOR ADMIN: Do you have any idea what is going on?

• admin says:

Hi Tina. We are not sure why they are making you wait and why they don’t even know what is going on. They can be so obscure…You could call them back and see if a different officer would give you more enlightened information?

71. Wilbert says:

Hi, I sent my cityzenship application since March 30 2012, i pass my cityzenship test on September 2014. Now I am on my 37 months since CIC have my application but I don t have no date schedule for ceremony or anything else, I called the call centre they said they sent email about my case, I wonder should I hire lawyer ? Does anyone have another idea?

• Pantserwagon says:

How should someone else know whats going on when its you that receives your emails? Check your email and find out you retard.

72. Jebin Mathew says:

Hello,

My name is Jebin, I had taken my Canadian Citizenship test back in 11th Dec 2013 and now its April 2015. I had passed the test and I was told I will be give the date of my oath ceremony in a few months. It’s been a few years now and I have not yet received any correspondence. Whenever I call CIC they tell me to call them back in 3 – 4 months and then they will send an email to the office in Downtown Vancouver. I have been calling they regularly for the past 2 years and I have still not yet received any answer. Please look into this matter and let me know.

Thanks

73. angelena2141 says:

You would never think that you might find information such as this. Compared to the many other posts I’ve read today, this one is the best.

74. Hi I have a question. cause I’ve been calling the CIC for hours and they didn’t answer. my question is I have applied for my citizenship for five months and I’m waiting for an acknowledge letter when do they usually send it I am afraid they didn’t receive my application yet can u please reply?

75. Anonymous says:

I have applied for my myself and my son who is 10. I have received a notice to appear to take the oath but my son has not received a notice to appear and this name is not mentioned in my notice. Does he need a letter since he is 10?

76. julee7131 says:

I’ve got to admit this is most definitely one of the more exceptional postings I’ve found for this subject. I will definately keep an eye on your posts.

77. Saud says:

I had given my citizenship test on feb 04 2015 and i passed with flying colours, but its now end of May almost 4 months now and i m still waiting for my ceremony i am not sure whats going on with my application. I called couple time but they saying that my application is still under review.

78. Mahmoud says:

Hi I can’t find my old expired passports I lost them my test is next week could you tell me what to do please I am going crazy I can’t beleave that I lost my old expired passport

79. Anon111 says:

hi. Me my dad and bro passed our citizenship test but were held back because my mum failed it the first time. She re took it the second time and failed again so they were going to forward her file to a hearing judge. And they were like our files will be separated so now me my dad and bro are waiting for our ceremony date. However I’m having family troubles and I’m planning to move out. Will it effect our cotizenshop process? Do I have to stay with them until I become a citizen ? And is it possible if I take my path and n a different date and not with my dad and bro?

• admin says:

Hello. For any specific questions regarding your citizenship application process, please call Citizenship and Immigration Canada Call Centre at 1-888-242 2100 (Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., your local time, except for statutory holidays). Good luck!

80. greg says:

HI i lost my passport after applying to citizenship and my test day is next week. i was wondering if i need anything like documents etc during the test. I am afraid that they wont let me write the test. Is there anything I can do about the situtation

81. NARENDRA KUMAR SAWHNEY says:

Hi my n wifes papers were verification was done on 4th April 2015, after verification of papers concern officer told us that we will get letter for oath after 12 weeks till date there is no reply., how to know the exact date of oath or any sight to trac the movement of file. further we both want to go to Calgiri for few weeks, due to death of relative can we go there or not.

82. Junaid says:

Hi! my mom, dad and i wrote the citizenship exam on April 7 and passed it. My mom and dad got the ceremony paper invitation but me and my sister havent got yet. what should i do?

• admin says:

Hi Junaid, for any specific questions regarding your citizenship application process, please call Citizenship and Immigration Canada Call Centre at 1-888-242 2100 (Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., your local time, except for statutory holidays). Good luck!

83. Debbie says:

Hello,

i have passed my test in early may 2015 and they asked for the poof of travel documents. i got it mailed after a week. since from that almost 3 months still did not see any letter for the ceremony date. i did follow the sheet from the test it said: the process might take about 3 months if did not see then call the number as that 1-888. i did called and the officer not even ask my files number or anything. he just said what your question and i told him then you know what he said: it can take up to 36 months. you just need to call us when reach over 36 months ???? and said bye. no other information or any chance that you can asked. anyone have similar case or experience?

84. JM says:

I took citizenship exam last july 22,2015.until now im waiting for letter to appear on Oataking Ceremony.how long i have to wait im planning to go to US this december.

• admin says:

Waiting times vary. Maybe you could call Citizenship and Immigration Canada Call Centre at 1-888-242 2100 and ask for an approximate waiting time?

85. Vivian says:

Hi, I passed the citizenship more than 6 months ago but now haven’t received the letter to attend the ceremony yet.
    I called up the immigration center and they said because our family applied together and my mom failed (she failed the oral interview too) so we have to wait for them to clear up her files before sending me the letter to the ceremony. However, your article said that we are now processed independently!
    But my main point is, will passing the test guarantee me 100% that I will become Canadian citizen? If whatever happen to my current PR (for example, they found out that I provided false information to get my PR) during the time i’m waiting for the ceremony, will i got kicked out of the country?
    P/s: I’ve been having my PR for nearly 8 years.

• admin says:

Hi Vivian. If you read this article from CIC, you will see that your mom’s application could be processed independently. Passing the test should guarantee that you will become a citizen, if you meet all the other requirements for citizenship. If you provided false information, your application will be denied. We are not sure if you will be kicked out of the country.

86. Narine says:

I took at passed the citizenship test on March 18th. I was told I would receive a letter inviting me to the oath ceremony within 2-3 months, and was encouraged to bring family and friends to the ceremony. It is now over 6 months. I finally got through to CIC yesterday, and was told that because I postponed the citizenship test three times, my oath ceremony invitation will be delayed for three years. This “rule” was not previously stated to me on any of the letters I received from CIC, nor was it orally told to me, nor is it in any of their Rules and Regulations. Is this true? How is it my fault that the government arbitrarily picks a date that I cannot attend because of work? How is any of this fair???

• admin says:

We never heard of this rule before, and it doesn’t sound fair. 3 years is a long time. Maybe you could keep calling back until you talk to a more agreeable agent who could help you with this?

87. Wally says:

Hi, My wife and I applied for the citizenship in the same time separately. I’ve got the test letter, but my wife didn’t. after 2 months I checked her state in the CIC website and discovered that they sent her the exam letter 2 month before my letter. But we didn’t receive it. Then we contact them by phone and they mention that we should send them explain letter or the file will close. We sent the explain letter directly and after 8 days when we check the state on site, we couldn’t, which means that they close her file. My question is: what’s normally happen when some one did not receive the letter because of the delivery issue, and what is the right steps that he should take to avoid closing his file?

• admin says:

We are sorry to hear this. We are not sure about the specific state you should take to avoid closing her file, except just keep writing and calling CIC to defend her case. Good luck!

88. Anonymous says:

I took at passed the citizenship test on November 7th 2013. I was told I would receive a letter inviting me to the oath ceremony within 2-3 months, and was encouraged to bring family and friends to the ceremony. It is now over 20 months.
    First when i was called they told me wait for 8 months. Second when I was called again same thing repeat, wait for 12 months, and again I called them they said me wait for 20 months

I am tired of calling them…
    How is this fair???

89. alejandro2928 says:

Judging by the amount of opinions, this is definately a truly engaging topic. Everytime I come back to this post there’s an interesting guest post better than many of the prior ones.

90. Anonymous says:

I passed my test in sep 2015 after interview with immigration officer she told me now I have to wait for oath ceremony but yesterday I received letter again and they mention that I have to appear for retest. How it’s possible if I fully pass still appear for exam???

91. brunilda4669 says:

Excellent content. Among the best I’ve found.

92. adri says:

I already passed my test my son is under 18, today I recived letter to take the oath for my son, no to me!! Do you thing I need to wait or I call to CIC?

• admin says:

It is best to call Citizenship and Immigration Canada Call Centre at 1-888-242 2100 (Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., your local time, except for statutory holidays). Good luck!

93. indira167 says:

The following is excellent material. One of the better posts I’ve found at this time. Continue the good work.

94. ching9375 says:

Great submit. It looks like alot of hard work went in this.

95. tosha5066 says:

Great content when compared to most of the similar topics I’ve checked out. Carry on the nice work.

96. sanjay says:

hi I have a concern I passed my citizenship exam about 8 months ago and was told to wait for the ceremony letter but suddenly I received a letter about an interview now I am confused what to expect in the interview do u think that they will take exam again should I do the study again for exam or is it just a normal interview please help

• admin says:

Hi Sanjay. If you passed your citizenship exam, then you shouldn’t have to take it again. Maybe they just want to verify additional information from your citizenship application. You could call Citizenship and Immigration Canada Call Centre at 1-888-242 2100 (Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., your local time, except for statutory holidays) and ask them the reasons for this interview. Good luck!

97. Amo says:

I have a relative whose husband passed the exam but the wife did not pass (also his wife fails the interview test). The husband got the letter re oath ceremony and in the letter is only his name does it mean only he gets the citizenship how about their kids.

• admin says:

Hi Amo. The husband should get his citizenship. Regarding their kids, they should inquire by calling Citizenship and Immigration Canada Call Centre at 1-888-242 2100 (Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., your local time, except for statutory holidays).

98. Anonymous says:

Me my husband and my 7 year old son applied for citizenship as a family in Feb 2016 after 10 days we received the email confirming that they have received and accepted our application but the email was on my son’s name and we can see only his information on the cic as a case processing file. . . . We have confirmed this with an immigration lawyer he is saying that if you apply as a family cic do the correspondence with one person ‘s Name only in our case he chooses my 7 year old son . . . . Is anyone in the same boat and same timeline plz share your experience. . . .

99. Fauzia says:

hi.i took the exam and i pass citizenship exam.but in interview they ask me to photocopy my all stamp entry and exit stamps.some they did not put stamp on entry into canada.but i write again on the paper and give it to them.its been 6 months i did not get oath.whats procedure for oath.

• admin says:

They might need more information, but in any case they will let you know. For the oath, they will send you a letter informing you of your citizenship ceremony, so you just have to wait.

100. Maureen says:

Hi we took the test last 2015 of march 10 and i passed the test but my husband didnt and he took is oral exam this 2016 of sept and he passed because he disnt recieve letter the judge told him that if he recieved a letter within the week after his oral exam means he failed so i guess he passed the citizenship…just wondering how long its gonna take for our oath taking ceremony coz ive been waiting for 18months now thanks

• admin says:

The time frame is different for everybody and depends on a lot of criteria so we don’t know when you and your husband will be taking your citizenship ceremony. First you should call IRCC (1-888-242 2100), see if they can confirm that your husband did pass his test.

101. Anonymous says:

Hi did anyone know
    what is in my case I did my citizenship exam 2015
    Jun than I failed the first exam than again I gave the exam on October 2015 finally I passed they told me they gonna send me letter for ceremony after 1year later I called them (CIC) they said it’s in process so now 2016 December still no updates on online service no later so what I should do? Please someone can tell me?

102. am4life says:

I am Sep-2012 applicant file went in process in Feb-2013 Pre-test RQ April-2013 RQ Sent May-2013 since then no news from CIC however out of moon I have received a letter from CIC in July-2016 to appear for test and interview, passed the test and interview however I have been told officer we are still waiting for your immigration clearance once we will receive it we will invite you for oath it is approaching 6 months now. no response from CIC, I have ordered my ATIP all clearance are clear except it shows Immigration clearance- Suspended I don’t know what does it mean is anyone have similar experience

103. veronicaclarke18 says:

Hi, I have an appointment for the test and I am travelling outside Canada same day, are they going to give my PR card back or are they are going to keep it?